Slow fried onion, feta and walnuts on pasta
( SERVES 2 )
- Finely slice the onions and put them in a frying pan with the olive oil, thyme leaves and a sprinkling of salt. Fry gently for about 5 minutes until the onion slices start to brown at the edges, then add a splash of water and cover the pan to allow the onion to soften. Stir from time to time and add a little more water if needed.
- After about 20 minutes, remove the lid and continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Add a sprinkling of sugar to assist the browning and accentuate the natural sweetness of the onions. When the onions are almost ready, add the walnuts.
- Boil the pasta (orecchiette) in plenty of salted water. When cooked al dente, drain while retaining a little of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the onions, together with the crumbled feta and the parsley. If needed, stir in a few spoonfuls of the cooking water to moisten the dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with a trickle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
PS: If you still hanker after toast rather than pasta, pile the onions, walnuts, feta and parsley onto 2 thick slices of well-toasted Vogel bread