Jerusalem Artichoke and Apple Soup
( SERVES 6 )
- In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter and add the chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped leek(white part only), bay leaf, peppercorns and apple(peeled and chopped). Cook over a low heat until soft and without colour.
- Add the cider or wine and continue cooking until the liquid has reduced by half. Peel and chop the artichokes, then add to the pot with the stock and cream.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes until the artichokes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, then purée the soup in a liquidiser or blender until velvety smooth.
- Season lightly with salt and garnish with chives or croutons.
Tip: If you want to stop the artichokes in this soup from discolouring, first peel then immediately plunge them into cold water that contains a little lemon juice.