Couscous salad with chickpeas and goats cheese
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, large, chopped|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1½ cups||Chicken stock|
|1 can||Chickpeas, rinsed and drained|
|150 g||Goat's cheese, crumbled|
|2||Red peppers, seeds removed, roasted, skinned and sliced|
|1||Lemon, freshly juiced|
|3 Tbsp||Fresh mint, chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Fresh parsley|
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes to lightly brown.
- Add crushed garlic, turmeric, and cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds, then add stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in couscous then remove pan from the heat, cover and leave to steam for 10 minutes to soften.
- Remove covering and fluff up couscous with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Toss through remaining salad ingredients, except preserved lemon, and season well with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove flesh from preserved lemon and discard. Rinse the rind with cold water.
- Finely slice and scatter over finished salad to garnish.