Beetroot, red onion and endive salad
( SERVES 4 )
This recipe is by Stella McCartney from Meat Free Monday and is a textural, flavoursome salad.
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Honey, clear|
|1 handful||Wild rocket|
|150 g||Feta cheese|
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place a large piece of foil in a small roasting tin, tip the beets into the middle, season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with half the oil and the vinegar. Wrap the foil around the beets and seal tightly. Roast the beetroot for an hour or until tender when tested with a sharp knife. Remove from the roasting tin and leave to cool.
- Tip the pecans into the roasting tin and drizzle with the honey. Stir to coat, then roast for about 10 minutes until sticky and glazed. Remove from the roasting tin and cool the nuts on a plate.
- Tip the onion into a baking dish, add the garlic cloves (whole and unpeeled), drizzle with the remaining oil, then roast for about 30 minutes until tender and starting to caramelise.
- To make the dressing, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from their skins into a small bowl, add the remaining ingredients and the juice of one lemon and gently whisk until just combined.
- Peel the beets and cut into wedges. In a large bowl layer the beetroot, onion, pears (quartered, cored and sliced), endive (trimmed into separate leaves), rocket, feta and pecans. Generously drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.