Wild field mushroom and lamb Greek-style pizza
( SERVES 4 )
This recipe is from Michael Daly’s Find It Eat It. Daly photographed his discoveries, and provides extensive notes on how to recognise, find and use these wild treasures. He has developed unusual recipes, such as the pizza pictured on the right, which is a perfect way to use field mushrooms.
|15 g||Active dried yeast|
|1½ tsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Dried oregano|
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|2 tsp||Ground coriander|
|300 g||Lamb mince|
|100 g||Mushrooms, wild field|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh mint|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh coriander|
|1 to serve||Fresh coriander|
|1 to drizzle||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 to taste||Black pepper - ground|
|1 to serve||Fresh mint|
To prepare the dough
- Combine the dry ingredients, then mix in the warmed milk and oil using a dough hook on high speed for 5 minutes or until the dough becomes very elastic. Form the dough into a ball, then place in a large lightly oiled bowl covered with a dry cloth.
- Place the dough in a warm place and allow to rise for a couple of hours to double in size. Knock back by kneading for 2 minutes, then use as needed.
To prepare the topping
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the onion(finely diced) and garlic(crushed) until soft but without colour. Turn up the heat and toss in the oregano, cumin and finely chopped coriander. Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the lamb mince and sliced mushrooms. Stir and cook until golden brown.
- Dice the tomatoes and mix through the mince; cook until soft. Remove from the heat and toss in the chopped mint and coriander.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Place a heavy-bottomed tray or a pizza stone in the oven to heat up. Divide the dough in half and roll both pieces into an oval shape on a floured surface. Remove the tray or stone from the oven and cover with a piece of baking paper. Place the dough pieces on top and spread evenly with the mince mixture. Sprinkle on the feta.
- Bake the pizzas on the middle shelf of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Remove and cut each pizza into 8 pieces. Serve sprinkled with chopped mint and coriander, a little olive oil and some black pepper.