Bulghur, spinach and roast tomato pilaf
( SERVES 2 )
This particular recipe is more than simply a pilaf, as it also includes sweet roasted tomatoes, dark fried onions, spinach and thick yoghurt. The components are cooked separately, then layered in a shallow bowl that keeps the whole dish light and vibrant. If you prefer, you can make the pilaf using basmati rice instead of bulgur wheat. Small, round tomatoes branded "Sweet Temptations" have a good tangy flavour that makes them ideal for roasting. Serve the pilaf on its own or with grilled lamb cutlets, leg chops or a roast leg of lamb.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 dash||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
Dark Fried Onions
Bulghur and Spinach
- Tomatoes: preheat the oven to 180C. Cut the tomatoes in half, top to bottom, and place in a small baking dish. Sprinkle with olive oil, vinegar, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Put into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until tender and shrunken. Set aside. May be cooked ahead of time and stored at room temperature.
- Onions: put the finely sliced onion, salt and olive oil into a small frying pan and fry gently until golden. Add the cinnamon and brown sugar and continue to fry until the onion is dark and tender. Add the lemon juice and set aside at room temperature.
- Pilaf: put the finely chopped onion, finely chopped garlic and oil into a small, heavy pot or frying pan and fry gently until the onion is translucent. Stir in the bulgur, then add the stock or water. Cook over a very low heat until the bulgur has absorbed the liquid, then remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Spinach: wash the spinach leaves. Bring a small amount of water to the boil in a saucepan, salt and add the spinach. Push the spinach down into the water. As soon as the spinach has wilted, drain it and rinse with cold water. Squeeze dry and fold into the bulgur pilaf.
- To Assemble: spoon half the pilaf and spinach into a shallow bowl. Place half the tomatoes on top and sprinkle with half the onions. Repeat the layers and spoon the yoghurt in blobs on top.