Pears "Belle Helene" with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce and ice cream
- First, make the sauces. For the caramel sauce, put the cream into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle half the sugar over the bottom of another saucepan and place over a low heat.
- Slowly caramelise the sugar, and as it starts to turn a golden colour, add the remaining sugar. Cook until it is deep golden-brown.
- Carefully stir in the butter and add the cream after it melts. Cook until boiling, then remove from the heat and pour into a heatproof bowl to cool.
- For the chocolate sauce, chop the chocolate into small pieces. Put the cream, butter and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the chocolate, stirring until it melts and the sauce thickens slightly.
- For the pears, put the first 5 ingredients (juice of the lemon) into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Peel and core he pears leaving the stems intact. Stand the pears upright in the syrup, then cover with baking paper.
- Simmer slowly until tender - the longer it takes, the better the flavour. Allow the pears to cool, then roll them in the nuts.
- Place a spoonful of chocolate sauce in the centre of 4 plates, then top with a pear.
- Place a spoonful of caramel sauce and a scoop of ice cream alongside.