Jerusalem Artichoke Salad of Almonds and Watermelon with Honeyed Olive Oil Dressing
( SERVES 4 )
JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES HAVE A sad reputation for inducing flatulence, but please do not let that dissuade you from making this delicious salad. Here, I've paired the artichoke with watermelon because they have similar textures when eaten raw. The almonds add flavour and crunch. It is a delightful entrée that looks a bit flash but is full of wintry crispness.
- Whisk the vinegar and honey in a small bowl, then add the oil, salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer, cut the scrubbed artichokes into long, thin slices.
- In a small bowl lightly toss the artichoke slices with the dressing, lightly toasted almonds and town basil.
- Cut the watermelon flesh into 3cm-thick cubes, discarding as many seeds as possible.
- Put 3 pieces of watermelon on each plate and top with a small handful of artichoke.
- Spoon extra dressing over the salad.