Chocolate and almond cake
( SERVES 10 )
A rich, moist cake that can be eaten as is, or warmed with a side of vanilla icecream as a delicious dessert.
|150 g||Dark chocolate, bitter|
|150 g||Unsalted butter|
|100 g||Caster sugar|
|100 g||Ground almonds|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Put the chocolate and water into a Pyrex bowl or small pan.
- Sit this on top of a pan containing water over a low heat (like a double boiler), but do not let the top pan or bowl touch the boiling water.
- Heat the chocolate until almost melted. Add the butter and let them both melt.
- In a bowl mix the egg yolks, sugar, ground almonds, baking powder and rum very well. Add the melted chocolate and butter and mix vigorously.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff with an electric mixer, then fold them into the mixture.
- Grease a spring-form cake tin about 23cm in diameter (preferably non-stick) with butter, then dust with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, then bake in a preheated 160C oven for about 35 minutes or until firm. Turn out when cool.
- To make the topping, melt the chocolate with the water in the small bowl or pan over boiling water (as per the instructions above).
- Add the sugar and butter, let them melt, then mix well. Spread the topping over the cake.