Hugh F. W's simple green salad
( SERVES 2 )
- Fill a large bowl with ice-cold water, tip in the salad greens and gently swirl for a few seconds. Pick over for any insects or snails.
- Drain the leaves and put them into a salad spinner, if you have one. If you don't, drain the leaves in a colander and tip them into a clean tea towel, firmly gathering up the corners.
- Go outside and whirl the tea towel like a lasso above your head. You will have become your own salad spinner. Unwrap the leaves and put them into a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by putting the lemon juice, oil and seasonings in a bowl and whisking to mix. Or put in a small jar, cover and shake.
- Pour the dressing over the leaves and toss them together using your fingers or wooden salad servers.