Beef Pot Pie
( SERVES 6 )
These pies are very versatile - serve them with a salad for lunch, or with mash and veges for dinner.
|1 kg||Chuck steak, or blade steak|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 to taste||Black pepper - ground|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|3||Anchovy fillets in oil, canned or in jars|
|170 ml||Red wine|
|2 sheets||Puff pastry|
|1 to serve||Chutney|
|1 to serve||Green salad|
|1 to serve||Mashed potato|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Cut the beef into 2cm chunks.
- Put the flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the beef and toss to coat, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, carrots(peeled and chopped), garlic(sliced), anchovies(finely chopped), sage and red wine and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce has thickened slightly and the beef and carrots are tender.
- You will need a 2-litre pie dish or 6 x 200ml individual pie dishes or large ramekins.
- Using a dish upside-down as a guide, cut out round(s) of pastry for the pie lid(s), allowing an extra 1cm all round.
- Spoon the beef filling into the pie dish(es) and cover with the pastry lid(s), pushing down the edges around the rim.
- Make a slit in the top with a sharp knife. You can refrigerate the pie(s) at this stage if preparing ahead.
- When ready to cook, brush the pastry with egg yolk and bake the pie(s) in the oven until the crust is lightly golden, allow 35-40 minutes for a large pie, 20-25 minutes for individual pies.
- Serve with tomato chutney and a green salad, or for a more substantial meal, with mashed potato and celeriac as well.