Traditional Pea and Ham Soup
( SERVES 8 )
- Wash the peas well and soak while preparing the other ingredients.
- Place the hock in a large saucepan with the herbs, stock and diced vegetables. Add the drained peas.
- Slowly bring to the boil. Remove any surface foam with a large spoon.
- Cover and simmer for about two hours, until the meat and peas are tender. Discard the bunch of herbs.
- Remove the hock and allow to cool a little.
- Discard the skin and bones. Finely dice the meat.
- Puree the soup then return to the saucepan with the meat. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Tip: Instead of stock you can use water,and you can also substitute bacon hock for ham hock.