Gooey Chocolate Cake with Raspberries
( SERVES 8 )
Served warm or cold, no-one will be able to resist this gooey chocolatey delight with raspberry jam and when in season, fresh berries.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Generously grease a 22cm round cake tin.
- For the topping, put the chocolate, jam and cream into a small pan over a medium heat.
- Stir until smooth, then pour into the prepared tin.
- In a bowl, mix the cocoa powder with 125ml boiling water, stirring until smooth, then add the milk, vanilla and jam, whisking to combine.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter(softened) and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl.
- Using a large spoon, fold the dry ingredients and the cocoa mix into the creamed mixture, alternating the two, then fold in the raspberries.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, ensuring you spread it right to the edge and cover the topping completely.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. (If not serving straight away you can refrigerate the cake in the tin, but you will need to warm it in the oven before turning it out.)
- Turn the cake out onto a plate. You may need to scrape some sauce out of the tin and spread it over the top of the cake.
- Serve warm or cold, with fresh raspberries.