Mushroom and tofu pies
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
|250 g||Field mushrooms, thickly sliced, reserve 4 slices for decoration|
|3 Tbsp||Sunflower oil|
|25 g||Button mushrooms, halved|
|250 g||Tofu, cut into 1cm cubes|
|5||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|3 Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Hoisin sauce|
|1 pinch||Chilli powder|
|2 sheets||Puff pastry|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten with a little milk to glaze|
- Heat a large frying pan or wok and stir-fry mushrooms, tofu and spring onions in oil.
- Add chilli powder, soy and hoisin sauces and toss well over heat for a few minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Divide cold mixture between four 1-cup capacity ramekins or pie dishes.
- Cut out pastry to form lids and place over filling. Secure edges by pressing with a fork.
- Cut several slits in the surface to allow steam to escape and decorate each with a slice of mushroom. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 210C.
- Brush pastry lids with egg glaze and bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden brown.