Oven poached quinces
Although quince jelly and quince paste are the most popular uses for this unique fruit, sliced quinces that have been poached in the oven take on the same brick-red colour. For breakfast, combine slices of poached quince with slices of pear, poached or raw, and crunchy raw nashi.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, forming a syrup.
- Pour the syrup into a Pyrex casserole dish.
- Wash the down off the quinces, cut into quarters, peel and core.
- Cut each quarter in half. Slip the slices into the syrup and cover with a lid or seal tightly with foil.
- Bake for about 3 hours until the quinces are very tender and fruit and syrup are both deep red.