Mushrooms baked with mozzarella
( SERVES 4 )
I first ate a version of this straightforward dish many years ago at a restaurant in Sydney where it was served with a sorrel pesto. The sorrel provided a piercing sharpness that was in stark contrast to the woodsy notes of the mushrooms. Wild garlic leaves would be a similarly unusual addition.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Finely chop the onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and slowly cook the onion until soft and translucent.
- Chop the garlic and rosemary leaves then stir into the onion.
- Finely chop 2 mushrooms, then stir into the onion and cook until soft and fragrant. (Note that quite a bit of liquid will be released from the mushrooms.)
- Stir in the breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Trim the stalks from the mushrooms and lay them gill-side up on a flat baking sheet. Dribble olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt.
- Divide the onion stuffing between the mushrooms. Slice the mozzarella, then place the slices on top of the filling and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the mushrooms are tender, the filling hot and the cheese golden and crisp.
- emove from the oven, divide between 4 serving plates.
- Scatter the rocket leaves over the top of the mushrooms and serve.