Golden kumara soup with ginger and garlic
Golden kumara makes a smooth puree that forms a sweet base for many flavour enhancements. One of my favourites is to sauté a good amount of garlic and green ginger before adding the kumara. The flavour is rich enough to make stock unnecessary. Water will still produce a pleasant soup. Crème fraiche, sour cream or yoghurt, mixed with a little grated orange zest, adds piquancy at serving time.
- Melt the butter in a big pot and add the diced onion, celery, ginger and garlic. Saute gently for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the peeled and sliced kumara and stir to coat. Cover and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the kumara is very tender.
- Puree in a mouli, or chop in a processor or blender.
- Reheat and thin down with more water or stock if needed. Check seasoning.
- Lightly mix the crème fraiche and half a teaspoon of orange zest and put a spoonful in each bowl when served.