Parsnip cream soup with curry spices
To make sure that the vegetable purees aren’t too thin, start with about four cups of liquid to every 500g of vegetables. The puree may be a little too thick, but can be diluted with a little more water or stock. The flavour of curry has a special affinity with parsnips. Use a little for a touch of mystery, or a couple of spoonsful for a gutsy soup.
- Melt the butter in a good-sized pot and add the garlic, onion and curry.
- Fry gently for 2 or 3 minutes. Peel and slice the parsnips and add to pot. Stir to coat with the curry mixture.
- Cover the pot and sauté gently for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until the parsnips are very tender.
- Puree by pushing through a mouli, or chopping in a food processor or blender.
- Reheat, thinning down if needed with more stock or water.
- Check the seasoning and stir in the cream.