Parsnip cream soup with curry spices
( SERVES 4 )
To make sure that the vegetable purees aren’t too thin, start with about four cups of liquid to every 500g of vegetables. The puree may be a little too thick, but can be diluted with a little more water or stock. The flavour of curry has a special affinity with parsnips. Use a little for a touch of mystery, or a couple of spoonsful for a gutsy soup.
- Melt the butter in a good-sized pot and add the garlic, onion and curry.
- Fry gently for 2 or 3 minutes. Peel and slice the parsnips and add to pot. Stir to coat with the curry mixture.
- Cover the pot and sauté gently for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until the parsnips are very tender.
- Puree by pushing through a mouli, or chopping in a food processor or blender.
- Reheat, thinning down if needed with more stock or water.
- Check the seasoning and stir in the cream.