Caramel meringues filled with coffee cream
( SERVES 10 )
- Preheat the oven to 125C. Put the egg white and cream of tartar into a medium bowl and whisk until snowy.
- Add the sugar gradually, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and drop 20 (approx) heaped teaspoonfuls of the meringue on to the tray.
- Use the back of a teaspoon to flatten each meringue into a small, thick disc.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the meringues are a pale biscuit colour.
- Turn off the heat, open the door of the oven and leave the meringues in the oven for another 30 minutes to dry out.
- As soon as the meringues are cool, put them into an airtight container so that they won't become sticky.
- Coffee-Cream Filling: Put the cream, coffee(very strong coffee, cooled) and icing sugar into a small bowl and whisk until firm.
- To Assemble: Place half the meringues, bottom-side up, on to a tray and dab a heaped teaspoon of coffee cream on each.
- Carefully press the remaining meringues on top. Place on a serving dish and sieve a dusting of icing sugar over the top.