Crisp fried fish fillets, chilli jam and coconut with cucumber, mint and coriander salad
|330 ml||Coconut cream|
|360 g||White fish|
|1 cup||Rice flour|
|½ cup||Fresh coriander, picked off stems|
|½ cup||Fresh mint, picked off stems|
- Bring the coconut cream to the boil in a small saucepan, then reduce the heat and simmer until it looks like thick cream. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the 2 cups of oil in a deep saucepan. Dip the fish fillets into the egg whites, then into the rice flour.
- Lightly shake the fillets to dust off any excess flour. Carefully lower the fish into the oil and fry until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Seed the cucumber, then slice diagonally. Place the slices in a bowl with the coriander and mint.
- Divide the fish between 2 serving plates, then top with the reduced coconut cream and the chilli jam. Place the salad next to the fish and serve.
- Chilli Jam: roughly chop the coriander leaves, then place in the bowl of a food processor with the washed coriander root and salt.
- Smash the garlic cloves with the side of a wide-bladed knife, then seed and chop the chillies. Add both ingredients to the coriander and process to make a smooth paste.
- Add the sugar, juice of the lime and fish sauce, then tip all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring almost to the boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool for about an hour before using. (Makes about 1 cup.)