Orange and almond cake
( SERVES 10 )
I love making this cake - everything fits into the food processor, so there's little washing up. Delightfully moist, it is also a pretty cake to look at, with its dark top in marked contrast to its golden-yellow interior. I serve it with mascarpone cheese and slices of fresh orange, but you could substitute yoghurt or whipped cream.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 30cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Simmer the oranges in a large saucepan of water for 2 hours, changing the water 3 times during the process.
- Cool, then cut the oranges in half and remove the pips. Squeeze out any excess liquid that may have been absorbed during the cooking process.
- Place the orange pieces in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the eggs and sugar and blend for 3 minutes. Add the almonds and baking powder and blend for 2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour. (If using muffin pans, bake for 45 minutes.)
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container. This cake freezes well. Serve with mascarpone cheese.