Lamb and olive pies with scone crusts
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
|700 g||Lamb shoulder, steaks, trimmed of skin and excess fat|
|3 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|1½ cups||Beef stock|
|1 cup||Stuffed green olives|
|1||Lemon, freshly zested|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|2 Tbsp||Marjoram leaves|
- Cut lamb into 2cm cubes. Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and brown meat in batches. Remove.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and soften. Return meat to pan. Add olives and stock and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, half cover the pan and gently simmer for 1½ hours.
- Stir in lemon zest, cinnamon and marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool.
- Divide mixture to fill 4 1½ to 2-cup ramekins.
- For the scone crust, combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Rub in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in milk to make a soft, smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Roll out pastry to 4mm and cut to cover ramekins. Brush edges of ramekins with water and cover with pastry lids.
- Press edges with a fork to secure and cut a hole in the centre of each lid. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Bake pies for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are puffed and golden brown.