( SERVES 6 )
- Place flour in a bowl and rub in butter with your fingertips until crumbly (or this can be done in a food processor).
- Stir in lemon zest, sugar, salt and then the water to combine into a firm dough.
- Turn dough out on to a board and knead lightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board to form a circle 25cm in diameter and 5mm thick.
- Prick pastry all over with a fork and remove to one side until required.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Smear 50g butter over the base of a 24cm frying pan with an ovenproof handle.
- Add measured water and sugar then arrange apples, rounded side down, in the pan.
- Place the pan over a medium-hot element for 10-15 minutes, shaking regularly until the butter and sugar have caramelised and turned golden brown.
- Lay the pastry circle over the apples (the loose fit is to allow for shrinkage during cooking) and bake for 30 minutes or until the pasty is golden brown.
- Remove pan from the oven, allow to firm in the pan for 2-3 minutes before inverting on a serving plate so that the fruit is on the surface. Serve warm.