Curried mussels with aubergine and potato
I like to use a combination of mussels and cockles in this dish, but feel free to use one type only. If you are a fan of chillies, add some green ones, slit lengthwise, towards the end of the cooking time.
- Put the mussels or cockles (scrubbed and checked for broken or dead ones) into a deep saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Add the wine and cover with a lid. Steam for 2-3 minutes until the shells open. Lift out the mussels, transfer to a large bowl and toss with the turmeric.
- Soak the cumin and mustard seeds in a small amount of warm water for 10 minutes, then put into a food processor with the ginger and onion.
- Blend until smooth, using a little more water to get a thick paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion paste over a low heat until fragrant, then add the chilli powder, ground coriander and 3cm potato chunks.
- Add the 2.5cm aubergine cubes, pour in the remaining water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with a little salt, then add the mussels. Add more water if required, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves and accompanied by bowls of steaming basmati rice.