Mussel cannelloni, tomato sauce and mozzarella
I serve this dish with a tomato and lettuce salad sprinkled with a bright dressing of red wine vinegar, mustard and olive oil.
|12 sheets||Lasagne sheets|
|2 Tbsp||Unsalted butter|
|2 kgs||Cooked mussels, steamed open, shells discarded|
|2 cups||Tomato sauce, fresh|
|1 cup||Mozzarella cheese, grated|
|4 Tbsp||Parmesan cheese|
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a vigorous boil. Slide the lasagne sheets into the water and cook until tender. Drain and remove to a wet tea-towel. Cut them into rectangles 6cm x 10cm and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan, slice the leeks into thin rounds, then fry in the butter until soft but not too coloured. Finely chop the onion and garlic and stir into the leeks. Add the bay leaves and cook gently for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Check the seasoning.
- Place the sheets of pasta on a damp cloth and spoon some leek mixture onto each sheet, discarding the bay leaves.
- Cook the mussels, steamed open, shells discarded.
- Top each sheet with 3-4 mussels, then roll the cannelloni into a cylinder. Spoon some of the tomato sauce into a shallow baking dish and arrange the cannelloni over the top. Distribute the rest of the tomato sauce over the cannelloni and sprinkle with the grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and serve.
- Tomato Sauce: heat the oil in a deep saucepan over a medium setting. Finely chop the onions and garlic then fry until golden brown - about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes (ripe tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped) and cook for 20 minutes; use a spoon to break them up. Continue cooking until the sauce reduces and becomes thick. Add the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 7 days.