Duck breast salad with beetroot, greens, potatoes and walnuts
- Prepare all the ingredients. Boil the beetroot in water until tender (about 25 minutes), then peel and cut in half.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Melt the duck fat in a heavy frying pan and gently fry the potatoes until golden and tender.
- Toss the walnuts in a roasting pan, coating with the honey and a tablespoon of the oil, then roast at 170C for 5-7 minutes until crisp.
- Slash the duck skin in a criss-cross pattern and generously season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy frying pan and add the duck skinside down.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes until the skin is crisp and much of the fat has been released.
- Turn the breast over and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove and allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To assemble the salad, wash and dry the leaves and herbs, then spread over a large serving platter.
- catter the beetroot, potatoes, walnuts and duck slices over the top.
- Finish with basil leaves and flowers, then drizzle a little hot duck fat and the juice of one lemon over everything.