Savoury herb tarts
( SERVES 4 )
To prepare shortcrust pastry:
- Mix the flour and salt in a food processor. Add the cubed butter and blend until it resembles fine sand. Add the ice-cold water and blend until it forms a ball.
- Remove the pastry, cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Grease 4 x 10cm fluted flan rings. Lightly dust the bench with flour. Roll the pastry out to a thickness of no more than 3-5mm.
- Line the rings with pastry, pressing it into the bottom and leaving a decent 1cm overhang to allow for shrinkage as the pastry cooks. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place a piece of greaseproof paper in each pastry shell and weight it with baking blind material such as rice or beans.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the pastry is firm, then remove the beans and paper and return the rings to the oven for 5 minutes to dry. Cool the pastry shells in the rings, then trim the edges evenly with a serrated knife.
To prepare the filling:
- Mix the egg yolks, cream, herbs and salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the pastry shells and bake for 20 minutes until set. The filling will make enough for 4 tarts. Leftover pastry can be frozen.