Simple Chicken and Pumpkin Curry
( SERVES 4 )
Spicy aromatic dishes, fresh and invigorating, deserve a pale ale, and that's where curry recipes come in.If you don't know how to joint a chicken, ask your butcher to do it, or buy a bag of chicken pieces.
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces. In a deep casserole or frying pan, heat the oil and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Do this in small batches, transferring the chicken to a suitable plate once browned. Reduce the heat to low.
- Using a spice mill or a pestle and mortar, lightly grind the cumin, coriander and cardamom (usewhole cardamom pods, crushed andseeds removed) just enough to release their fragrance. Add the spices to the warm pan. Seed and chop the chillies, then add to the pan. Grate the ginger and chop the onions finely, then add to the pan, stirring continuously to prevent burning. Keep the heat low so all the aromas are released slowly. Add the garlic, turmeric and tomato to the pan, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- While it is coming to a simmer, halve and peel the pumpkin, then scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut into thick slices, then roughly chop them into 2cm chunks. Add the pumpkin and coconut milk to the pan, then gently place the chicken pieces on top.
- Cover with a lid, then simmer until the chicken is cooked through - about 30-40 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the spinach, stirring until it wilts.
- Serve with steamed rice.