Sakarkhand palak (Stir-fried sweet potato and spinach)
For a vegetable dish by itself, this stir-fried sweet potato and spinach has a really interesting flavour. As an accompanying vegetable for a spicier meat dish, it works well due to the slightly sweetish taste of the sweet potato and the freshness of the greens.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice into 1.5cm cubes. Blanch in boiling salted water, drain and refresh in cold water.
- Wash, drain and dry the spinach leaves. Peel the ginger, and then dice finely. Slit the chillies, then seed and chop very finely.
- Heat the oil in a wok or pan. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they crackle. Add the ginger and chillies, and sauté well.
- Add the turmeric and sweet potato. Sauté, then add some salt. Add the powdered spice mixes and toss well.
- Add the spinach leaves. Toss well, and stir-fry until the spinach is wilted.
- The sweet potato may also be blanched by a quick deep-fry in vegetable oil, but the method above is a lighter option.