Mount Lavinia Hotel potato and fish curry
Mild curry powder
- Place all the seeds in a spice grinder and grind until very fine. Store in an airtight tin.
- Place the lemongrass, tamarind paste, onion, curry powder(prev made), turmeric and crushed garlic in a heavy pan or wok and toss over a high heat.
- As the spices start to toast and give off an aroma, add the salt, chilli, curry leaves, mustard seeds(soaked in water), cinnamon stick and the water.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring well, then add the coconut milk. When the liquid returns to simmering point, add the potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Taste and add salt as required. (The curry can be prepared ahead to this point.)
- When ready to serve, bring the curry to a simmer and add the fish. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the fish becomes opaque, then season with more salt and the lime juice.
- Garnish with coriander and serve. Serves 6-8 as part of a meal