( SERVES 8 )
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|250 g||Standard flour|
|45 g||Caster sugar|
|45 g||Brown sugar|
|125 g||Currants, or half saltanas|
|30 g||Mixed peel|
|⅔ cup||Milk, or with half cream|
- Preheat the oven to 210 degC or 200 degC (fanbake).
- Put the flour, baking powder and butter cubes into a processor and process until the butter is very finely chopped.
- Add the sugars and pulse to mix. Tip this mixture into a large bowl and mix in the dried fruit and peel.
- Pour in the milk and use a blunt knife to mix to a moist dough. Tip this out on to a lightly floured board and very lightly pat or roll out thickly to about 15mm.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut rounds about 6cm in dia-meter. Place these on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a baking cloth.
- Arrange 2 cherry halves for eyes and 3 pieces of almond for teeth. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and springy when pressed.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack. To make the optional glaze, put the caster sugar and milk into a small pot and stir over a low heat until it forms a thick syrup.
- Brush this over the rascals while they are still hot.