Morello Cherry Cake
( SERVES 8 )
This beautiful cake is a great way to make the most of festive cherries.
- Take a 23cm-diameter round cake tin, preferably loose-bottomed. Lightly butter the inside of the tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degC. Tip the cherries into a sieve to drain. Put the soft butter and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until very pale and soft.
- Separate the eggs, putting the yolks in a small bowl and the whites in a medium bowl. Beat the yolks into the creamed butter and sugar. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Beat lightly into the mixture with the milk. If the mixing bowl is on a stand, remove it to the bench.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Use a large metal spoon to fold the whisked egg whites lightly but thoroughly into the mixture. Scoop the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Scatter the drained cherries over the mixture. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until a sharp fork poked in the middle comes away clean.
- Place the cake, still in its tin, on a rack for a few minutes before transferring it to a plate. Sift icing sugar over the top.