Rhubarb and vanilla cobbler
( SERVES 6 )
It's magic as an autumnal or winter dessert, or try it in summer with apples or pears and red fruit.
|300 g||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1 kg||Rhubarb, washed and chopped|
|1||Orange, zest and juice|
- Melt the sugar and vanilla in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Add the washed and chopped rhubarb, zest and juice of the orange, then cover with a lid and turn the heat up high (this will make the rhubarb fluffy).
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the rhubarb is soft. Transfer to a baking dish and allow to cool.
- To make the scones, first preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then add the butter (room temperature and cubed) and lightly rub it into the flour, lifting your hands as you work (this will add air to the mixture and make the scones lighter).
- Mix in the sugar, then make a well in the middle of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl gently beat one egg and milk. Pour into the well in the flour and combine using a palette knife.
- When it starts to come together, use your hands to finish combining - the mixture should be soft but not sticky. Add more flour if necessary.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured bench - it should come away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Form the dough into a long cylindrical shape, then cut it into 2cm rounds using a sharp knife.
- Place the scones on top of the rhubarb so that they cover the fruit but don't overlap. Glaze with a whisked egg, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until golden brown.