Peanut satay sauce
Makes 2 cups.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened, but not coloured.
- Add chilli, brown sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice and cook for 1 minute.
- Puree this mixture with the roasted peanuts and 1 cup of cold water in a blender to form a thick paste.
- Return paste to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Satay sauce will last up to four days in the fridge. Gently reheat before serving.
Buy nuts in small quantities, as and when you need them. Nuts have a high natural oil content and this can turn rancid over time or with exposure to heat. To keep them fresh, store ground nuts in an airtight container in the fridge.