Cucumber and prawn soup
With its stunning simplicity, cucumber soup needs only a hot day for its properties to be fully appreciated. At the risk of causing mild panic and a certain degree of outrage, I feel it only prudent to point out that because too much raw cucumber can cause indigestion, I first salt it for 30 minutes. This deals with the problem.
- Peel the cucumber, then cut in half lengthwise and seed. Chop the flesh into small dice, place in a colander over a bowl,
- sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and leave to drain for 30 minutes.
- Discard the drained liquid. Finely chop the garlic. Seed and finely chop the chilli and stir both into the yoghurt with the lemon juice. Finely shred the mint leaves and stir into the yoghurt.
- Add half the diced cucumber and all the cream, then refrigerate. Finely chop the parsley and roughly chop the prawns, mixing both with the remaining cucumber.
- Season with a touch of salt. Remove the soup from the fridge, season with a little black pepper and pour into bowls.
- Place a pile of the prawn mixture in the centre of each bowl and serve.