Fragrant Fijian chicken curry
( SERVES 4 )
This is is a chicken curry that takes about 40 minutes to cook. I chopped up a whole bird, but chicken pieces would work just as well. I found the curry leaves in my local Asian market. There’s no real alternative to curry leaves, as their fragrance is unique. If you must, choose other fragrant leaves such as basil or kaffir lime.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the finely chopped onion and gently fry until starting to turn a light gold.
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds, then fry gently until they start to pop. Add the curry leaves and half the garlic and ginger and continue to fry gently until the onion is golden brown. Add the turmeric and chilli powder and fry a minute longer.
- Use a size 16 chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken pieces then stir in the salt and garam masala, ensuring the chicken is well-coated.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a mild to moderate heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ginger and garlic, stirring to combine. Add the coriander, then check the seasoning. Serve.