Nigel Slater's pears with red wine and spices
- Cut the pears in half from stalk to base. Use small hard pears, peel them if you wish.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a stainless steel or enamelled saucepan. Bring to the boil, lower to a simmer and add the pears.
- Cook until tender to the point of a knife, about 30 minutes, depending on the ripeness and variety of the pears.
- They must be thoroughly tender, though not squashy. Switch off the heat.
- Turn the pears from time to time until they are cool.
- Serve at room temperature, straining the juice over the pears.