Mrs Beeton's stewed pears
For this recipe, it is best to choose underripe pears.
- Pare the pears, halve them, remove the cores and leave the stalks on, put into a lined saucepan with the above ingredients (whole cloves and allspice) and let them simmer very gently until tender, which will be from 3-4 hours according to the quality of the pears.
- They should be watched, and when done, carefully lifted out onto a glass dish without breaking them.
- Boil up the syrup quickly for 2-3 minutes; allow it to cool a little, pour it over the pears and let them get perfectly cold.
- To improve the colour of the fruit, a few drops of cochineal may be added, which enhances the beauty of this dish.
- The fruit must not be boiled fast, but only simmered, and watched that it be not too much done.