A spicy fish soup was followed by a rich meat stew. The recipe for this varies from cook to cook, depending on his or her meat selections. The cuts should be flavoursome and the sausages meaty, but not fatty.
|500 g||Black turtle beans, dried|
|750 g||Corned beef|
|250 g||Smoked bacon, slab or 1 piece of salt pork|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|350 g||Pork belly|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|500 g||Italian seasoning|
|⅓ cup||Orange juice|
- Cover the beans in cold water and soak for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, cover the piece corned beef in cold water and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Blanch the slab of smoked bacon (or meaty salt pork) in one piece in a large saucepan of boiling water, then cook for another 5 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan. Rub the pork generously with salt and pepper, then brown well on all sides – about 7 minutes.
- Remove the pork to a bowl, add the sausages to the frying pan, and brown on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Take a large stockpot or cast-iron casserole pan and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the finely chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft.
- Add the drained beans with the pork, bacon, corned beef, black pudding (use 1 medium sized, sliced into 3 pieces) and chorizo (use 1 large dried chorizo, again sliced into 3 pieces). (Reserve the sausages.)
- Tie the bay leaves and (6) coriander stalks together and add to the pot with enough water to cover the beans and meat by 6cm. Bring to a boil, then skim the surface.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Skim from time to time and keep checking the level of liquid, adding cold water if necessary.
- With a slotted spoon, remove about 1 cup of beans from the liquid and mash them well with a fork. Add the orange juice and return this mixture to the bean pot.
- Add the reserved sausages, season with salt and pepper to taste, then cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves and coriander, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat to a large cutting board.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the sausages, chorizo and black pudding into thick slices.
- Cut all the other meat into chunks, then stir it back into the beans.
- Serve with rice, stir-fried kale or flower sprouts, orange wedges and pickled chillies.