- Sift the flour into a bowl then whisk in the soda water and egg. Add the ice cubes just before using the batter, and use it before they melt.
- Rinse the oysters under cold running water to remove any grit or shell, then drain in a sieve.
- Heat the oil to 180C, then carefully dip the oysters into the batter before gently lowering them into the hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown, turning the oysters over as they cook.
- Remove and drain on absorbent kitchen paper, then transfer to a serving platter. Serve with the dipping jam.