Grilled beef in a soy and spring onion marinade
( SERVES 6 )
|3 cm||Fresh ginger|
|1 bunch||Spring onion|
|2 Tbsp||Dark soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|½ tsp||Sesame oil|
|2 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
For the Beef
- Peel the ginger and cut up into matchsticks. Place in a deep bowl. Thinly slice the whites of the spring onions and add to the bowl.
- Cut the chilli in half, then remove the stem and seeds if you don't want the heat.
- Finely chop the flesh and add to the bowl.
- Add the soy sauces, sesame oil and water. Heat the peanut oil in a small frying pan until it starts to smoke, then carefully pour it over the ingredients in the bowl. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- Leave the steak slices in the marinade for 30 minutes.
- Using the vegetable oil, lightly grease the hot grill bars of a barbecue or a ridged grill pan.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, draining it over the bowl, then cook until coloured on both sides.
- Remove from the heat when medium rare and leave to rest. Slice the meat into finger-thick strips and place in a bowl with the cooking juices and rocket leaves.
- Toss together and divide among 6 plates. Spoon a little extra marinade over the top and serve hot.