Blackberry Crème Brûlèe
( SERVES 4 )
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Heat the cream with the orange zest, then simmer for 3 minutes to allow the flavour to infuse.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Using a whisk, beat together the egg yolks and first measure of caster sugar until pale and creamy.
- Strain in the hot cream and return the custard to a clean saucepan on a low heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir continuously until the custard starts to thicken, whisking quickly when it does. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the custard has an almost-set quality, remove it from the heat.
- Divide the blackberries between four 6cm diameter ramekins and pour in the custard.
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish with enough water to come halfway up the sides.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Sprinkle the second measure of sugar in an even layer over the surface of the custards and spray with a little water.
- Place the ramekins under a grill or use a handheld kitchen blowtorch to melt the sugar until it has caramelised to a rich golden brown.