Poached berries with lemon shortbread
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- In an electric mixer with a beater attachment, cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. This usually takes 5-7 minutes - the longer you leave it the better the shortbread.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest setting and add the flour, cornflour, salt and lemon zest. Be careful not to over-mix. Roll the dough into logs and refrigerate.
- Cut the logs into biscuit-sized slices and place on the baking sheet 5cm apart. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the slices to a wire rack to cool - take great care, as they are extremely fragile.
- To assemble, you will need 3 shortbreads per serving. Place a biscuit on each plate and put a teaspoon of crème fraîche in the centre.
- Arrange a circle of berries around the perimeter. Place another biscuit on top and repeat the crème fraîche and the berries.
- Finally, top with the third biscuit and dust with icing sugar.
- Place spoonfuls of the berry syrup around the biscuits.