Banana walnut golden syrup loaf
Gorgeous when warm, this moist loaf is just the thing to have with a cup of tea. I prefer to bake cakes and long-keeping fruity loaves such as this sweet banana loaf. Make sure you buy freshly shelled walnuts, as even slightly stale nuts can be rancid and will spoil your efforts.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a 22cm x 12cm loaf tin by brushing the inside with melted butter then dusting it with flour.
- Put the softened butter into a cake mixer bowl with the K beater and beat until soft. Add the sugar (dark) and beat for 2 minutes. Add the golden syrup and eggs, one by one, beating continuously.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the mashed banana. Sift the flour and gently combine mwith the batter. Add the walnuts.
- Tip the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 55 minutes or until a cake skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the middle of the loaf. Rest the loaf in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
- Serve in thin slices, which may be buttered, although the loaf is very moist and will keep in a tightly covered container for up to a week.