Fresh mandarins with hot toffee sauce and wine yoghurt
- Put the butter, sugars and golden syrup into a heavy-based saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until melted.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to gently bubble for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream and essence, a little at a time, stirring continuously.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir for 2 minutes until the sauce is smooth. Allow to cool.
- This sauce will keep for several weeks in the fridge, where it will solidify.
- To return it to a liquid form, reheat in a bowl over a pan of boiling water until slightly warm.
- To assemble the dessert, peel the mandarins, removing as much pith as possible and keeping the fruit whole.
- Slice around the equator of each mandarin.
- Place 3 halves into each of 6 glass serving dishes, spoon over a generous amount of sauce to cover the mandarins, then add the yoghurt (or icecream).