Star anise and apples give this slow cooker pork dish a beautiful flavour.
- Place the hocks in a large slow cooker. Add the shallots or onions and peeled and sliced apples.
- Combine the mustard, brown sugar and pepper with the apple juice and pour over the pork.
- Sprinkle with the cloves, star anise and raisins. Cover and cook on low for six hours.
- Using tongs, remove the hocks to a platter. Use the tongs to remove the skin and bones. The meat will be so tender it falls off the bones.
- Thicken the juices, if preferred, with two tablespoons of cornflour mixed to a paste with a little water.
- Return the meat to the slow cooker and reheat.