Balsamic onion marmalade
Photo by iStock
Sweet onion marmalade is lovely in sandwiches and will liven up any cold meat or salad.
- Heat the oil on low in a heavy saucepan.
- Finely slice the onions and add, saute until cooked but not browned.
- Add the vinegar, red wine, sugar, mustard seeds, salt and pepper. Simmer for five minutes.
- Cook over low heat until it thickens like a marmalade. Be careful the jam does not stick and burn on the base.
- Cool then cover and refrigerate. Can be stored for up to one week.