Prawn and corn chowder with bacon
( SERVES 6 )
Bacon adds flavour to chowder as well as making an attractive garnish.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Dice the bacon and saute until crisp. Remove to one side.
- Place the thawed (or fresh) corn in a food processor and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Cut the spring onions into green and white lengths. Thinly slice both.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and add with the white strips of spring onions to the saucepan.
- Saute until the onions are tender.
- Add the milk, seasonings, corn and water. Simmer, stirring often, for about 12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the prawns and green spring onion strips and heat gently until the prawns turn just opaque.
- Serve topped with the bacon.