Potato and onion rosti
( SERVES 4 )
- Using the grating blade on a food processor, grate the potatoes and onion finely.
- This can be done by hand if you prefer. Squeeze the grated potato and onion in your hands, then discard the juices - do not be alarmed by how much liquid comes out.
- Mix the remaining pulp in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan until the butter begins to froth, then add the potato mixture.
- Use a spatula to pat the potatoes down to create a dense cake, tucking in any stray bits. Lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- The potato will begin to turn shiny, which is the signal to turn it over.
- Place a large dinner plate upside down over the frying pan, then invert the pan so that the rosti is on top of the plate.
- Return the pan to the heat, then carefully slide the rosti back in, cooked-side up, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the rosti to a warm plate, cut into 4 and serve hot.