Jane Grigson's buttered apples
- Peel and core the apples and cut each into 8 wedges.
- Sprinkle with the Juice of 1 lemon to stop the apples turning brown.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, adding the apple wedges in one layer. You may need 2 pans.
- Cook gently until the undersides are an autumn brown, then turn the slices over and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Add the cinnamon and watch the pan carefully as the sugar begins to caramelise.
- Lift the apple slices from the pan and place in a serving dish. Deglaze the pan with the cider, stirring continually as it reduces.
- Add the cream and stir until it reaches a rich caramel-like sauce consistency. Spoon over the apples and serve at once. Serves 4.